Author(s) - Title (Performers, if known)
No Shame Staff - 2003
This MIGHT be close to the order:
1) Alexander Cox - "A glimpse of Levitating Fishnet" (first line)End of show music by Star City Wildcats
2) Connie Sellers - I want to be a Beach Bum
(original song w/guitar)3) Simon Adkins - My Brilliant Cousin
(last 6 pages of a 12 page play about three women drinking wine and discussing the possibility of love.)4) Brandon Davis & Andre Burroughs - Dance of the Leprechaun King
5) Dwayne Yancey - Ye and Truly: The History of Rock'n'Roll
(Monologue on the History of Rock as a guy cleans out his garage, supported by Katerina and Keith Yancey)6) Dolores Curry - On the Road to Roanoke
(original song on Hammer Dulcimer.)7) Nosebone and Joker (?)(I thought the name was Bonedaddy Entertainment) - Magic Trick with audience participation
8) John Shirley - worn-out chicken blues
(performed by John Shirley in rooster costume and introduced by Sean Nitchmann.)9) The Sad Cobras . . . - Spiders have Weird Abdomens
(some sort of song about a spider?)10) Sean Nitchmann - Dave the Angry Suburban Poet - My Lawn
(Poem by a guy who wishes those Damn Kids would stay out of his Yard.)11) Todd Ristau - Chicken Sunday
(performed by Todd - monologue about a guy getting more than a free meal down at the Goodwill.)
Todd Ristau, Director and emcee
Richie (What the heck is your last name?): Stage Manager and LBO
House Manager: Mary Knapp
Concessions and novelty sales: Stephanie Ingraham & Michelle Bennett
PAs: Daryn Warner and Sandi(?)
Archive Photography by Jennifer Fowler
Pre-show Music by the Star City Wildcats
It went very very well. We had a capacity crowd, and turned people away. Around 110 seats in theatre, so a sell out crowd for first night is pretty good. 11 acts, all got good response, wide range of stuff. Couldn't be happier, really. Sold three t-shirts. Gave away prizes. It was swell. ---Ristau
FUCKING GREAT SHOW, you guys and gals! Fantastic to come near sell out again this week.
1) Sad Cobras - Song, with electric guitar and vocals by DEEDRAYE HALLISTON, and STIFF McLIP doing crazy beats and keyboards.STAFF:
2) Joe Barbee - Currently Untitled
3) Alexander Cox - Poem
4) Sean Roach - Rhapsody in Peppermint - musical scene
5) Laura Tuggle - Half Full - Monologue about drinking wine with a lover and her cold.
6) Dwayne Yancey - The Film Noir MacBeth - comic scene, MacBeth paraody in Sam Spade style. Performed by Dwayne Yancey and the Yancey Family Players.
7) Simon Adkins - These streets were trees - Memoir Monologue. Performed by Simon Adkins.
8) John Bryant - comic scene. Performed by John Bryant and (?)
9) Todd Ristau - I am God - Monologue about the DC Sniper shootings
1) Virginia Wintermeyer - Embalming - (adapted for the stage and directed by Todd Ristau); a monologue about a mortuary science student's first embalming. Performed by Melanie Austin.)STAFF:
2) Maia - FAIRY - poem, performed by author
3) Leslie Jarzabski - SATURDAY - dramatic monologue, performed by the author
4) John Peery - untitled; poem, performed by the author
5) Dwayne Yancey - The Last Man on the Moon Blues (five-minute version) - comic scene, performed by members of the Sad Cobras
6) Todd Ristau - Table Tapping Sex Magicians or Just Say No To Ouija - comic monologue, performed by the author
7) The Sad Cobras - BLACK CAT: A HIP HOP HALLOWEEN - musical imporvisation, Bloody Hatchett on keyboards and vocals and Loose Noose on electric bass and other sounds, introducing Chip "Lip" (ladies love the plastic)Robot.
1) Todd Ristau - A really clever idea, comic scene, performed by Todd Ristau and Richie CannadaySTAFF:
2) James Underdue - (?, No Script), poem in 3 parts or was it 3 poems?, performed by James Underdue
3) Kristin Baehr - (?, No Script), song, performed by Kristin Baehr, Rachel Nelson, and Melanie Austin.
4) Beth Reamer - (WE ARE NOT) THOSE WHO CAME BEFORE US, poem, performed by Beth Reamer
5) April Nimmo - (??????????, around 20 poems, no scripts for any of them), performed by April Nimmo
6) Dwayne Yancey - Escape Velocity, comic scene, performed by ????
7) Simon Adkins - LINES FROM EX-GIRLFRIENDS, short comic play in three scenes, performed by Simon Adkins and Rhianna (?)
8) Todd Ristau - Lou (aka Ex-Prize Fighter), poem, performed by Todd Ristau
The order, as near as I can recollect it.... ---Todd
HOUSE BAND: EVIL GENIUSES
1) Nelson Oliver - TRIBUTE TO HARRY HOUDINISTAFF:
[magic trick, performed by Nelson Oliver and audience participants]2) Dwayne Yancey - Now Hiring For Tooth Fairy
[comic scene, performed by Rhianna Smith, Kristen Baeher, Rachel Nelson]3) James Underdue I - DEM WORDS and MY SLUMBER
[two poems disguised as one, performed by James Underdue]4) Leslie Jarzabski - AN EXCERPT FROM GLASS HOUSE
[epistular prose cutting, performed by Leslie Jarzabski]5) Jacknife Surprise(?) - SET THIS PLACE ABLAZE (first line)
[song with guitar, performed by Jacknife Surprise. (I think, his real name is Sean, but I was unclear if the song was named Jacknife Surprise or if he wanted to be known as Jacknife Surprise. Help! Scripts and lyric sheets with actual contact info would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.]6) Josh Humphries and Kimberly Amos - DONKEY BOY & MEISKA AT AFTERNOON SIESTA IN ELMWOOD PARK
[existential rant improv, performed by Josh Humphries and Kimberly Amos]7) Marin Miller - UNTITLED
[original song with guitar, performed by Marin Miller, NO SCRIPT or LYRIC SHEET]8) Courtney Campbell - ODE TO CHRISTMAS
[poem, performed by Courtney Campbell (Again with the no script thing, oy!)]9) Chris Meyers - MY SOUL
[song with guitar and bucket, performed by Chris Meyers, and without lyric sheet, dagnabit! We are the No Shame with the most incomplete archive ever. I hang my head in total shame.]10) The Sad Cobras - I SAW A GHOST LAST NIGHT
[musical improvisation, performed by unn e. cee whiteknuckles on guitar and noise, tera nightterrors on accordian, also SHADOW WHOISIT as the girl with the red umbrella]11) James Underdue II - DEATH BY SUICIDAL EYES
[poem, performed by James Underdue]12) The Disgruntles - [no title]
[musical improv with guitar, performed by Michael Glazebrook and Ricky Shitfaced]13) Todd Ristau - A PICTURE PAINTS A THOUSAND WORDS
[monologue, performed by Todd Ristau, introduction by Richie Cannaday]
There are some businesses out there in town who are very
energetically supporting Underground Roanoke in general and No Shame
Theatre in particular. When we give these prizes away, we're not
just giving you free stuff, we are letting you know who the
businesses in town are who are progressive and who want to see this
No Shame thing succeed. Go thank them by buying lots of stuff from
them. It makes a difference.
1. Connie Sellers - STREET MAN BLUESTAFF:
[song, performed by Connie Sellers]2. Benjamin Stevens - ONE NIGHT STANDS
[poem in three parts, Genesis, Face-Time, and Moment During a Dream, performed by Benjamin Stevens]3. Todd Ristau - Firebug
[monologue, performed by Todd Ristau]4. Chris Myers - HEATHER'S SONG
[song with guitar, performed by Chris Myers and his bucket]5. Nelson Oliver - SNOWFLAKE
[monologue with magic, performed by Nelson Oliver with assistance by ??]6. James Underdue - PASSION FRUIT
[poem, performed by James Underdue]7. Dwayne Yancey - The Pi of Maggie (five-minute version)
[comic scene performed by Dwayne Yancey, Laura Tuggle Anderson, and Marycatherine Smith]8. Benjamin Clark I - FOUR HAIKUS
[poem, performed by Benjamin Clark, who didn't turn in his script like he promised....I keel you.]8.5 Robb Rouse - GOD'S SALVATION PROGRAM
[comic poem, performed by Robb Rouse, who also didn't turn in a script, but lucky for you I found it wadded up under your chair when we were cleaning up.]9. Kathleen Shaw - CONFESSIONS
[poem, performed Kathleen Shaw, who also didn't turn in a script. Shame on you. Can you bring it next week?]10. Elizabeth Blyskal - LAST NIGHT
[song, performed by Elzabeth Blyskal, who also didn't turn in a script. Come on you people, get with the program!!]11. Benjamin Clark II - UNCLE JOHN'S (something or other)
[performed by Benjamin Clark--I'd be better able to tell what the title is if you'd have TURNED IN A SCRIPT!!!!!]12. John Reery - UNTITLED
[poetic improvisation, performed by John Reery....sans script....but since that is the nature of "improv" I can't get on my hobby horse about it.]13. Marycatherine Smith - The Fireman Song
[song and piano, performed by Marycatherine Smith....would live to have the lyric sheet...or as some might call it...the SCRIPT.]14. Jens "I turned in a script" Rasmussen - THRESHOLDS
[dramatic scene, performed by Jens Rasmussen, ????, and Marin Miller]15. The Sad Cobras - TWO CHORDS WITH MUSTARD AND MILK or SLIGHTLY KANDINKSY
[musical improvisation with props and audience participation, performed by Rajnee Moloun and Verda Poughkeepsie]
By the way, I think having someone sign the entire show is a No Shame first, and a super cool thing.
1) Alexander Cox - RETARD THEATRE, comic scene, performed by ? (Thank you for the script!)Staff:
2) John Peery - "Lights Up?", poem, performed by John Peery, NO SCRIPT!
3) Chris Meyers - WAY DOWN, song, performed by Chris Meyers. handwritten crumpled up piece of papersubmitted as script...not really what we're looking for in a script or lyric sheet. We want to respect your work...but what's left after the performance but this crumpled up sheet of notebook paper? Don't give me that preservation is the antithesis of the ephemeral art of the theatre crap either, mister. We have an archive, you've known about it for two months now. Get with the program. You're a leader in this community, now lead, dadgummit!
4) Jens Rasmussen - "There is nothing stopping this dog" (first line), monologue, performed by Jens Rasmussen. Even less written on his crumpled up torn piece of notebook paper. Pititful. Disgraceful, really. I hang my head in that thing I'm not supposed to feel.
5) Dwayne Yancey - Eve's Apple Stand, monologue, performed by Gina Feazell Ok, this is getting serious. Even Dwayne turned in a torn up scrap of paper...actually on the back of Richie Cannaday's paystub. Though, in fairness, Dwayne felt bad enough about imitating the cool people that he brought me a typed script for this piece the following week. Can't you see what is happening here, people??? We need scripts, and we need them from EVERYBODY. It's been two months now, you can't pretend you don't know the rules and proceedures anymore. You ain't Newbies No More! I need your help to LEAD BY EXAMPLE!
6) Nonoxynol-9 - DON'T CALL ME SLOPOKE, FAT-FACE; performed by Stiff McLip on the iMac and phaser petal, & Crom Selsnic on 8mm and synths. Don't even get me started on the torn up piece of paper. Which was blue.
7) Todd Ristau - I FEEL FINE, monologue, performed by Richie Cannaday
8) A Jack Knife Surprise ? performed by ? Not even the slightest suggestion of a script.
9) Simon Adkins - JOHNNY REBOUND, comic scene, performed by ? Thanks for the script, if you can write your cast list on them, so much the better. If the authors don't write the cast list, can the person in the light booth please make those notes on the scripts during performance? I know, I'm such a hard ass.
10) Marin Miller - BALLAD OF THE LOVESICK YODLER, song, perfomred by Marin Miller. She can find time to make up these songs, but typing them...that's a whole 'nother thing.
11) Sad Cobras - YOU'VE DROPPED YOUR MITTEN, musical improv, performed by Stiff McLip on bass, beats, and cell phone; Crom Selsnic on guitar and noise, and Deedraye Halliston on other guitar and other cell phone.
More blue paper, and a phone number to call it I don't like it.
1) Sad Cobras, GETTIN' FIT, with Crom Selsnic on beats & notes and stationary bike; Sountrack, on excercise equipment; Stiff McLipp on bass, and more exercise equipment; and Deedraye Halliston on guitar...and excercise equipment.STAFF:
2) James Underdue, THE HOLE DEEPENS, poem, performed by the author
3) Allie Longworth, GREY SWEATER, acoustic guitar with female vocal performed by the author
4) Richie Cannaday, VHS INDISCRETION, Comic sketch, performed by Jens Rassmussen and Marin Miller
5) Dwayne Yancey, POLLY SIGH MEETS HER MAKER, comic sketch, performed by Rhianna Smith & Richard Kirkwood
6) April Allan, JUST A HINT/SHADOW, two short poems, performed by the author
7) Chris Meyers, RACHEL'S LULLABYE, song with guitar, performed by the author
8) Todd Ristau, GOD'S LAW MUST BE OBEYED, Archie Levine editorial, performed by the author
9) My Friend Matt, BUTT, performed by ? and ??, comic song with interpretive butt wiggling.
10) Rick Mercer, A TRULY CANADIAN APOLOGY, political monologue performed by Elise Packee
11) Marin Miller, DROWNED, serious song, performed by the author
12) Katey Branch, WOMAN RISING, serious poem, performed by the author
13) Benjamin Stevens, STAND UP COMEDY, dealing with booty call, Roanoke, complaining, and other stuff.
14) John Bryant, BRITISH STANDARDS OF SOCIAL TEACHINGS, comic sketch
I don't know if there are any "house parties" in your area, but tonight we in Ronanoke No Shame are hooked up with simultaneous screenings of the movie "Uncovered:The whole truth about the Iraq war." happening around the country.l
There are supposed to be around 2,000 screenings of the movie, sort of like the Lysistrata Project. They will all be linked by a simultaneous live conference call witht he film maker at 8:30 EST, and then at the top of the hour they will screen the film. Our screening is going to be followed by a one hour version of No Shame Goes To War, featuring about 10 pieces or so. It will be a great event, and the sort of thing that might even give Joshua James some hope.
The house parties are being sponsored and organized by the group MoveOn.org (http://www.moveon.org/) and if you go to their website I think there are a list of locations. Go to the website and click on the interactive map to find one in your area.
1. Simon Adkins - An Angry Poem About Local Politics
2. Todd Ristau - The Wheel, the Foot, and the Road to War (aka The Foot, The Wheel, and the Road to War)
3. Joan Ruelle - Nuclear Quotidian
4. Nell Grantham - What's the Difference Between a Rant and a Prayer?
5. [author unknown] - Canada's Apology - (Read by Elise Packee, but who wrote this thing. I've forgotten his name.)
6. Richie Cannaday - Under God
7. ??? - Konomama
8. Todd Ristau - As Dumb as They Tell Us to Be - (performed by Todd Ristau)
9. Todd Ristau - A picture tells a thousand words - (perf. by John Bryant)
10. Katey Branch - Rumblings of Truth/O, Babylon
1) Chad Proctor, UNTITLED, anti-no shame monologue, performed by the authorDIRECTOR: Todd Ristau
2) Brandin Davis, IRISH LAD, original bagpipe song
3) Dwayne Yancey, THE PRESS RELEASE, comic sketch about angels and the true meaning of marketing Christmas, performed by Trina Yancey, Kris Sorensen, Marycatherine Smith, Laura Tuggle Anderson, and Ross Laguzza
4) James Underdue, THE TRIUMPH, poem, performed by the author
5) April Seymore, BOY MEETS GIRL, comic scene with actor directions, performed by April Seymore, Melanie Austin, and Rachel Nelson
6) John Peery, untitled poem, performed by the author
7) Cloe Ruff, MINISTER MONOLOGUE, performed by the author
8) Richie Cannaday, Chris Meyers, Marin Miller, JAPANESE GIRL, performed by the authors
9) Charlie Boswell, GREAT QUOTES AND FAMOUS GOODBYES, performed by the author
10) Mason, MASON's SCRIPT, monologue about newspaper reporting, performed by the author
11) Todd Ristau, PIECE OF PROSE THEATRE, serious sketch, performed by the author and Simon Adkins
12) Simon Adkins, SO I WAS JUMPED, monologue, performed by the author
13) Kevin La Rance, WHEN I WAS LITTLE (first line), poem, performed by the author
14) Nelson Oliver, MAGICALLY GETTING TO THIRD BASE, monologue with magic bra removal.
"yeah, unfortunately as I wasn't there and Simon Adkins didn't go (and therefore review it) it is likely that this might be a "lost No Shame." I do know that Richie was there and did a piece, Allie Longworth did the song she performed at BONS, and Dwayne was there. I'll ask Dwayne to night to see if he can remember any details." ---Todd
"I'm drawing a blank. I remember where I sat (back row, stage right), and who with (my son) . . . I remember Todd wasn't there, so no Todd piece . . . I'm pretty sure James Underdue did some poetry, but other than that, hmm...." ---Dwayne